Functional Training is key!
We have all been there: spending hours in the gym doing isolated movements to build size and strength to then realise that you lack mobility and stamina, making it quite hard to apply all these gains anywhere else than at the gym.
Or maybe you (or your client) have been exclusively running and/or cycling and/or swimming to prepare for a marathon/endurance event. You were definitely able to increase your endurance… but with a definite loss of strength and flexibility (hello tight hip flexors!), making you more prone to injuries.
The word functional training is being thrown around quite a bit and people get a little bit confused. What is functional training exactly?
Functional training is a classification of exercise which involves training the body for the activities performed in daily life.
Functional training, if performed correctly, will lead to better joint mobility and stability, as well as more efficient motor patterns. Improving these factors decreases the potential for an injury sustained during an athletic endeavor. performance in a sport. The benefits may arise from the use of training that emphasizes the body’s natural ability to move in six degrees of freedom. In comparison, though machines appears to be safer to use, they restrict movements to a single plane of motion, which is an unnatural form of movement for the body and may potentially lead to faulty movement patterns or injury. (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_training)
For the first time ever in Singapore, we will be offering the opportunity to our students to complete the Master Functional Trainer certificate.
To do so, participants will have two (2) calendar years to complete the required courses and exam. See details here: http://www.functionaltraininginstitute.com/courses/master-functional-trainer/
Some of the advantages to sign up for the Master Functional Trainer Certification:
- Massive $$$ savings on the cost of courses
- Welcome pack that includes a folder to store your course manuals, FTI principles and philosophy manual and other business building strategies
- A world first foundations model specific to functional training
- 6 courses covering the latest in functional training programming and best practice
- Maximum accreditation points with ACE and NASM
- Insider access to FTI trainers and VIP first option invites to new content and FTI opportunities
- Recognition as a Master Functional Trainer and a true leader in the field with specific use of the MFT logo to advertise your qualification
- A Framed certificate of completion
- Access to online forum
- Business building strategies for attracting and retaining clients long-term
Cost of package (including cost of all courses): $SGD 2500 (instalments available)
Contact email@example.com to sign up/get more info!
In March, we have the pleasure to be running the following courses (which are both required for the Master Functional Trainer Certificate): Fundamentals of Powerbag Training (04/03/2017) and Fundamentals of Functional Mobility (05/03/2017)
Fundamentals of Powerbag Training
The Functional Training Institute have the only accredited Powerbag course in the world.
The Powerbags are one of the BEST tools for teaching people essential movements. The ‘Fundamentals of Powerbag Training’ is primarily focused on teaching hip, knee and pressing mechanics.
These are essential and fundamental movement patterns that every client must learn. Too often clients are progressed too rapidly or taught incorrectly. The reasons that the Powerbag is the tool of choice for establishing these movement patterns is the soft nature of the bag, the handles and symmetrical load.
Hip mechanics and hinging are the first patterns covered in the course and in immense depth. Proper hip hinging is essential for power based movements such as deadlifts, swings, snatches and cleans. The Powerbags course establishes the proper mechanics from a kneeling position and then progresses to standing. Progressions such as cleans and snatches are then introduced.
Knee mechanics are essential for squatting and lunging patterns. The course establishes optimal positions and how you can load these patterns for different levels of ability and strength.
Correct pressing and overhead mechanics are covered in detail. The handles enable optimal pressing mechanics for the shoulder and the correct overhead postion is emphasised.
The design of the Powerbag enables it to impart training results that are truly unique. The instability of the bag encourages stabilising muscles to be switched on during the exercises. The instability also encourages more coordinated movements in the training.
The soft Powerbag design makes it terrific for partner based exercises where the bag is thrown. This enables some great interaction as well as rotation based movements.
Why do this Powerbags Course?
- You will teach fundamental movements and exercises correctly. Clients will perform functional lifts with proficiency. This will impart a great foundation for more technical exercises in the future.
- You will become a great coach of foundational movements. This will separate you as a professional.
- You will be armed with a variety of exercises that will add great variety and interaction to your sessions.
- You will be one of the few certified Powerbag trainers in the world.
Fundamentals of Functional Mobility
Mobility is an essential component of ANY exercise program. This is the case whether it is a one on one session or group exercise session. It is paramount to helping your participants move better and minimising the chances of injury occurring.
Most people have misunderstood mobility and think that it is merely a few stretches before a session. This couldn’t be further from the truth and this kind of routine will often lead to less efficient movement.
Our Mobility training course covers the essential components of any well designed mobility program in depth:
It is a combination of these elements that will enable clients to move more freely and through a greater range of motion when exercising.
Our seated posture has placed an even greater emphasis on the importance of mobility training. Clients do not want to just look good but they also want to feel good and move better.
Clients don’t want aggravating niggles present as they exercise. Instead, they want good posture and a reduction of pain from previous injuries.
There is a combination of both theory and practical components. Participants work together in groups as they practice the techniques and see the impact it has on movements. The course is supported with a series of videos and detailed manual so participants have resources to continually refer to.
Why do this Course?
- Clients will love you! Who doesn’t want to feel better? Move Better? Have improved posture or enjoy some massage?
- You will stand out as a GREAT Trainer! Helping people with niggles and posture in addition to their other goals will help separate you from other trainers.
- You will get Clients BETTER Results. After a properly designed mobility program, clients will be able to complete exercises through a full ROM.
- You will be in a great position to generate referrals from other health professionals as you work collaboratively on helping people move better.